I had an annoying issue in my lab. Some time ago when I performed vSphere 6.7 PSC convergence my vCenter would stop displaying proper names of tasks in the vSphere Clients UI (both Flex and H5) and show only their placeholders with names like xxx.label.
While there are some KB or communities articles about the issue (and fix) none of them was applicable to my situation (running vCenter Server 6.7U1). I thought that VCSA patches or even deploying new appliance with backup restore would fix it but it did not.
After a little research I found out that the issue is caused by missing catalog.zip file in the /etc/vmware-vpx/locale/ folder. I had another lab with the exactly same vCenter Server build deployed so I just copied that file and transferred it to my vCenter Server Appliance. After service restart via VAMI UI tasks names were back.
I do not know the root cause, but if you have the same issue, give it a go.
Update: 5/6/2021: Diego Holzer emailed me with steps needed to rectify this issue in vSphere 7.0U2a:
During first login, the association files will be cached under /etc/vmware/vsphere-ui/cmCatalog.
BUT not after a restore. I wrote an article for workaround for the version 7.0U2a.
it’s in german, but the workaround works well on English 😃
chown vsphere-ui:users com.vmware.cis.vcenterserver.zip
chmod 0644 com.vmware.cis.vcenterserver.zip
chown vsphere-ui:users com.vmware.cis.com.vmware.vsphere.client.zip
chmod 0644 com.vmware.cis.com.vmware.vsphere.client.zip